VIAT is specializing in Algae based Research & projects relating to Industrial Effluents Treatment, Municipal Sewage Treatment, Wastewater Treatment, Algal Biomass Utilization and CO2 & NOx Mitigation by its Phycoremediation Techniques ( Carbon Credits)
1. to conduct basic and applied research in the field of Algal Technology
2. to impart scientific knowledge in the field of Algal Ecology & Physiology and Algal Biotechnology to Researchers
3. to carry on basic and applied research relating to Industrial Effluents Treatment, Municipal Sewage Treatment, Wastewater Treatment, utilization of algal biomass and CO2 & NOx Mitigation.
4. to carry forward the findings of applied research to the benefit of the community
Thrust Areas of Consultancy
1. Bioremediation of Industrial Effluents, Municipal Sewage, Wastewater and CO2 Mitigation in relation to Carbon Credits & NOx Mitigation ( Carbon Credits)..
2. Remediation and improvement of quality of Drinking and Recreational Waters
3. Consultation for the utilization of Industrial Effluents Sludge & Municipal Sewage Sludge for the production of Biomethane.
4. Consultation for the utilization of Algae Biomass for applications in Agriculture as Fertilizers, in Aquaculture as Fish-feed, as Pigments for Industrial Applications and as ingredients for Nutraceutical & Pharmaceutical Applications.
In today's highly polluted environment, a number of remediation methods are being employed to reduce the ill effects of pollution. Most of the Industries traditionally treat their effluents by chemical methods which are not only expensive but create toxic solid wastes in turn and it becomes difficult to dispose them.VIAT aims at providing a specialized method of Bioremediation called Phycoremediation, a technique employing algae, to treat industrial effluents and waste water. This new technology is not only safe and eco-friendly but it eliminates the accumulation of solid waste unlike in the chemical treatment. It is quite economical and at the same time oxygenates the environment by photosynthesis, hence CO2 mitigation. This methodology is quite useful in the removal of toxic waste including heavy metals, pesticide residues and other toxic chemicals.
VIAT is gearing up all its resources to become a Global Leader in the application of Phycoremediation Technologies in treating the effluents from the following:
•Dyeing Industries ( click here to learn more about dyes and degradation)
The following are the benefits of Phycoremediation:
1. Phycoremediation is a cost- effective, ecofriendly and a safe process.
2. The micro algae employed are non-pathogenic photosynthetic organisms and they do not produce any toxic substances.
3. Phycoremediation effectively reduces nutrient load thereby reducing TDS.
4. Phycoremediation reduces sludge formation to a very large extent.
5. Phycoremediation increases dissolved oxygen levels thorough photosynthetic activity.
6. Phycoremediation keeps bacterial population under control.
7. Algal growth in the effluent also removes waste CO2 from air there by contributing to the reduction of green house gases.
8. The algal biomass has high nutrient value and can be suitable as a live feed for aquaculture.
9. The algal biomass could also be used as a Bio-fertilizer and in EM (Effective Microbes) preparations.
10. Conventional chemical treatment of effluents results in concentrating the toxic waste in the form of sludge and requires landfill. Whereas
phycoremediation detoxifies and removes it for ever
11. Minimal odour compared to conventional methods of treatment.
12. Simple operation and maintenance
13. Construction and Operation Costs are typically less than half those of mechanical treatment plants (e.g. activated sludge, sequencing batch
14. Sustainable treatment solution with significant potential for energy and nutrient recovery.
Use of algae for treating waste water and industrial effluents is termed as Phycoremediation which can also utilize and remove waste CO2 from the air through photosynthesis. Micro algae are superior organisms for remediation because a wide range of toxic and other wastes can be treated with algae and they are non pathogenic. The risk of accidental release into the atmosphere causing health safety and environmental problems is avoided when algae are employed for remediation. Algae utilize the wastes as nutritional sources and enzymatically degrade the pollutants. The xenobiotics and heavy metals are known to be detoxified/ transformed/or volatilized by algal metabolism.
Phycoremediation Technology is implemented in Three Phases viz: Laboratory Feasibility Studies, Pilot Plant Studies and Large Scale Commercial Plant.
Laboratory Feasibility Studies: Laboratory Feasibility Studies shall be undertaken by us in the First Phase which includes the identification of suitable Micro-Algae species for the bioremediation of the Effluents at Lab Level apart from standardizing various parameters for optimization of remediation efficacy.
Pilot Plant Studies: After completion of Laboratory Feasibility Studies, Pilot Plant trials are undertaken. Construction of the Pilot Plant and Maintenance are carried out by the client under our guidance. Periodic Data are obtained from the Client as per our instructions for Monitoring.
Large Scale Commercial Plant: Upon successful completion of Pilot Plant Studies, guidance will be provided by us for constructing Large Scale Commercial Plant. Design, Construction & Maintenance are carried out by the client under our guidance. Periodic Data are obtained from the Client as per our instructions for Monitoring