South side of the monument.
During the War Between the States the cemetery became the final
Resting place for fallen Confederate Soldiers and later United Confederate Veterans. The Huntington and Bohler Families jointly donated this cemetery to the Rollersville Community in 1867. After incorporating Rollersville in 1863, the city of Augusta employed a caretaker who kept the burial records from 1883 until when the cemetery was closed in 1910. 3,598 burials of integrated races were recorded during this period.
Dedicated by the city of Augusta 1981 A.D. Lewis A. Newman-Mayor, Cemetery committee, Chairman B. L. Dent, Co Chairman W. H. Grant, Sr., Inez R. Wylds, S. H. Elliott, Jr., J. C. Jones, M. L. Dewitt.
Hicks Street at Bohler Street
Before leaving office, Governor Jenkins arranged for secreting the State Seal, moneys and executive documents until the Carpetbag Regime ended in 1872. Then he turned them over to Governor James Milton Smith with a detailed record of his administration. The General Assembly passed a resolution of gratitude, introduced by Joseph B. Cumming, Speaker of the House, and presented Governor Jenkins with a gold facsimile of the seal, inscribed: "Presented to Charles J. Jenkins by the State of Georgia, In Arduis Fidelis."
Born in South Carolina in 1805, educated at Franklin College, Athens, and Union College, Schenectady, N. Y., Governor Jenkins was a lawyer and State legislator, senator, attorney-general. He was President of the Constitutional Convention of 1877 and of the Board of Trustees of the University of Georgia for many years. He died June 14, 1883.
Woodrow Wilson was later to become the 27th President of the United States, He lived in this manse of the Presbyterian Church of which, his father, Dr. Joseph R. Wilson,
was pastor from 1858 to 1870.
During his boyhood here his next door neighbor and playmate was Joseph R. Lamar, who became Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Georgia,1902-1905 and Supreme Court of the United States from 1910-until his death 1916.
Woodrow Wilson was born in 1856 and attended the University of Virginia Law School, graduating in 1881. He had previously graduated from Princeton University. He practiced law in Atlanta, and in June 1885 he married Ellen Louise Axson of Rome Ga. In the manse of the Independent Presbyterian Church in Savannah, Ga.
He later studied political science at Johns Hopkins, became a professor at Princeton 1890 and became President of Princeton in 1902. He was elected Governor of New Jersey in 1910 and President of the United States in 1912 re-elected in 1916.
After the war he became a professor of mathematics and engineering at the University of South Carolina. He later became a successful businessman, as president of numerous Railroads and Banking. He wrote his Military Memoir’s and a number of other publications. General Alexander died in Savannah on April 28,1910.