The inscription reads:
"Our Confederate Dead""Erected A.D. 1878 by the Memorial Association of Augusta,
In honor of the men of Richmond County,Who died in the cause of the Confederate States."
At the pinnacle of the shaft is a statue of a Confederate private soldier, leaning on his musket gazing out as if waiting a command to move into action. The base of the monument is granite, the shaft and statues of pure Italian marlble. Designed by Von Gunden, a young man of Philadelphia. The work was executed in Carrara, Italy. Erected at a cost of $17,331.35 and unveiled on October 31, 1878. It is seventy-two feet high, and from the top of the second section, twenty five feet from the base, rises a simple, unbroken forty-seven feet presenting a singularly graceful and dignified aspect. At the four angles of the first section are placed statues of:
General William Henry Talbot WalkerGeneral Robert Edward LeeGeneral Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" JacksonGeneral Thomas Reade Roots Cobb
Around the monmument are embossed furled flag on a staft, muskets, swords, Deo Vindice emblem with a drum, muskets, cannon balls, a bugle and a furled flag,and the raised emblem of Georgia Constitution. The last section depicts the laurel wreath, spears and the ends of two cannons, the coat of arms of the Confederacy and the State of Georgia. The model for the soldier on top was a Confederate private, Mr. Berry Benson, who was a resident of Augusta.
N. W. side reads:
The N. E. side reads:
The S. E. side reads:
the west side it reads: