At the beginning of the War Between the States, John B. Gordon organized a company of mountaineers who wore coonskin caps and called themselves "The Raccoon Roughs." When his company was merged with the 6th Alabama Infantry Regiment of the Confederate Army, Captain Gordon was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel of the regiment. Early in 1862 he became a Colonel and later that year had fought up to the rank of Brigadier General. On May 14,1864, he was promoted to Major General and had been recommended for the rank of Lieutenant General when the war ended, at which time he was in command of half of the Army of Northern Virginia. Douglas Southall Freeman, in "Lee’s Lieutenants," wrote: "If the final order of march had been arranged to honor those who had fought hardest and with higher distinction during the last days of the war Gordon rightly would have been put first." In 1873 General Gordon was elected to the United States Senate. He was re-elected in 1878, but resigned in 1880 to develop mining and railroad interests. In 1886 he was elected Governor of Georgia and re-elected in1888. At the end of his second term he was sent to the United States Senate for the third time, serving from 1891 to 1897. He died on January 9, 1904 while visiting his son, Hugh Haralson Gordon in Miami. He is buried in Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta.
The scene on the left side of the monument is a molded bronze tablet with him standing in the center holding on to a Confederate Battle flag that appears to be draped over a chair. There are two ladies seated on pedestals facing him. The one to the right of him has the seal of Georgia under her and the lady to the left has the seal of the United States under her. Under that is inscribed, "Governor Patriot and Senator."
This equestrian statue stands at Capitol Square.
This tree is on the corner of MLK,Jr. Drive and Capitol Street.
The South tablet contains the names of the Citizens
and Chamber of Commerce Committee. The North Tablet contains the names
the Old Guard Monument Committee and the "Old Guard General Committee".
East Tablet contains the names of the Governors, Mayors and Councils
Military Organizations that endorsed the Guards "Mission".
These names will be furnished upon request.
Erected in 1938 during the administration of Pres., Mrs. Lola Walker Clement, V.Pres. Mrs. I. N. Ragsdale, Mrs. J. H. Cowles, Sec., Mrs. W. A Rapp, Mrs. Elizabeth Fleck, Treas., Miss Rose Hubner, Hist., Miss Sara Huff, Creed, Miss Annie Forsyth, Programs, Mrs. Robert Blackburn. "Lest We Forget"
Another brass plaque reads: "Rededication; the Henry Grady monument was restored as part of the Marietta Street Pedestrian corridor; the Corporation for the Olympic development 1996. Made possible through the generous contributions of Bank South.
There is a lady on either side of the statue in bronze she is sitting on a bench with a foot stool. On the foot stool is engraved: "Gorham Manufacturing Co. Founders." The lady is holding a wreath. Engraved: "This hour little needs the loyalty that is loyal to one section and yet holds the other in enduring suspicion and estrangement. Give us the broad and perfect loyalty that loves and trusts Georgia alike with Massachusetts~that knows no South, no North, no East, no West; but endures with equal and patriotic love every foot of our soil, every State in our Union." "Boston, December 1889" Under this is engraved: "The citizen standing in the doorway of his home-contended on his threshold – his family gathered about his hearthstone- while the evening of a well spent day closes in scenes and sounds that are dearest he shall save the republic when the drum taps is frugal." "University of Virginia, June 23, 1880. Journalist and Orator he attempted to lessen tension between the North and the South. He coined the phrase "The New South".
Elizabeth Grisham Brown, wife of Joseph Emerson Brown, was born July 13,1826 and died December 26,1896; Devoted Wife, Loving Mother, Loyal Patriot, A Christian Obedient to God.
There is a bronze scene on the north side of the monument which is a replica of the Battle of Dug Gap May 8,1864. On the back there is a bronze plaque of the State Seal of Georgia, 1799. A Bronze scene on the south side scene depicts the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, June 27,1862.
The statue was placed on the Capitol grounds in 1928. It was sculpted by I. D. Dumley and G. Morett.
These are mill stones from Andrew Jackson Collier’s Mill which stood 60 feet downstream from this ridge over Tanyard branch. "Few battle fields of the war have been strewn so thickly with dead and wounded as they lay that evening around Collier’s mill." Major Gen. J. D Cox