The New Hope Monument is located on Hiram Acworth Road Northeast of Dallas on Highway 381.
The battle of New Hope Church, Lt. Gen. J. B. Hood’s A. C. having marched from the Etowah River reached New Hope Church May 25, 1864. In time to halt Union Gen. J. W. Geary’s (2d) div., 20th A.C. which had detoured near Owen’s Mill enroute to Dallas by New Hope. Upon this skid is a map of the battle.

New Hope Church Phase of the Atlanta Campaign, May 25-June 4, 1864, Federal Army strives to break through Confederate position and command roads leading to Atlanta. The Federals execute flanks movement around Confederate Army when attack fails, reaching Western and Atlantic Railroad there line of supply, and move South toward Kennesaw Mountain. Confederates move parallel blocking way to Atlanta and take up position at Kennesaw Mountain. Federals engaged 91,000; losses 1600. Confederates engaged 55,000; losses 500.

National Historic Site

New Hope Church

Atlanta Campaign

Here, at New Hope Church Confederate and Federal Armies engaged in a desperate battle as the former blocked the way to Atlanta, key industrial center of the confederacy. Sherman again outflanked the Confederates and the two armies moved to renew the struggle at Kennesaw Mountain.

National Park Service
United States
Department of the Interior

New Hope

Baptist Church

This is the present day New Hope Baptist Church in Dallas. There is a remnant of the original church across the road.
There were numerous battles fought here, one of which was Polk’s March to Lost Mountain, June 4,1864. The embattled forces of Gen. J. E. Johnston’s Army, having confronted Sherman’s army on the Dallas~New Hope front, since May 25, abandoned the position and shifted eastward because of Sherman’s movement back to the State Railroad. Lt. Gen. Leonidas Polk’s Corps held the center of Johnston’s line, at New Hope Church, and in the withdrawal east from this sector marched by this road toward Lost Mountain, the imposing peak of which is visible from this marker.

Battle of Pickett's Mill

After the successful defense at New Hope Church by Hood’s Corps May 25, 1864 Johnston extended his right northeast to keep pace with the Federal leftward shift to outflank him. Elements of the 4th, 14th and 23rd Corps under Maj. Gen. Oliver O. Howard with over 18,000 men passed this point seeking the extreme right of the Confederate Army of Tennessee’s line bent back to the south. The brigades of Hazen, Gibson and Scribner blundered into a deep ravine one-half mile east of here to attack the Confederates under Maj. Gen. Patrick Cleburne. The brigades were defeated one after another in the heavily-wooded ravine fired upon from three directions. The Confederates were the clear victors of the five-hour battle. The result of the victory was a few days delay in Sherman’s Atlanta Campaign.

Pickett’s Mill is located on Mount Caper Church Road and Garrison Drive.







The Danielsville monument is dedicated to Crawford W. Long MD., discoverer of the use of sulphuric ether as an anaesthetic in surgery on March 3, 1842 at Jefferson, Jackson County, Georgia, USA.

Inscribed on the front is: "Born at Danielsville, Georgia Nov.1, 1815. Died at Athens, Ga. June 16, 1878." "My profession is to me a ministry from God."

The back reads: "Erected by the State of Georgia, Eugene Talmadge, Governor, Memorial Committee, and L. M. Smith, chairman, Mrs. Helen Williams Coxon, sec’y., J. L. Fortson, Mrs. T. W. Read, L.G. Hardman Jr., W. H. Compton, Commissioner Madison Co.




In front of the Dekalb County Courthouse facing East Trinity Place stands an obelisk that is draped. Below the drape is a furled Battle Flag. Under the flag it reads:

"Erected 1908".
"Erected by the men and women and children of Dekalb County. To the memory of the soldiers and sailors of the Confederacy, of whose virtue in peace and in war we are witnesses, to the end that justice may be done and that the truth perish not."

On the left below the drape reads:

"After forty two years another generation bears witness to the future that these men were of a covenant keeping race who held fast to the faith as it was given by the fathers of the republic. Modest in prosperity, gentle in peace, brave in battle and undespairing in defeat, they knew no law of life but loyalty in truth and civic faith, and to these virtues they consecrated their strength."
"C. S. A."
On the back it reads:

"These men held that these states made the union, that the Constitution is the evidence of covenant that the people of the state are subject to no power except as they have agreed that free convention binds the parties to it, that there is sanctity in oath and obligation in contracts, and in defense of these principles they mutually pledged their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor."
"1861 - 1865"
To the right it reads:

"How well they kept the faith is faintly written in the records of the armies and the history of the times. We who knew them testify that as their courage was without a precedent, their fortitude has been without a parallel, may their posterity be worthy".

Unveiled 19 April 1908.

Battle of Decatur

During the Battle of Decatur, July 22, 1864 there was hot fighting in and around the old Courthouse which stood on this square. Wheeler’s Cavalry made a gallant charge here and captured a battery of federal artillery with officers and men.
Erected by the Agnes Lee Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy 1922.
There are Several Historical markers on the ground, Georgia Historical Commission.

Decatur Cannons
On the Courthouse Lawn

These cannons are insignificant to the War Between the States but they have served in battle at some point in time, and most likely played an important part in the fight. They are among the many historical objects around the Courthouse.




This monument is located in a park in the center of town. At the pinnacle of the monument is a soldier. On the front of the monument there are crossed flags, between them is embossed “1861-1865.” Near the top are the letters, “C.S.A.”. On the right side it reads: “ In memory of our Confederate Soldiers”. And on the left side, “Erected by the Robert E. Lee Chapter # 998 United Daughters of the Confederacy, 1911.”

Unveiled 11 October 1911

The Robert E. Lee Chapter #998 of the U. D. C. is no longer active.




This monument is in a circle in the center of town. There is a young soldier at the top. On the front of the monument there are two crossed sabres and below them it reads:

"CSA 1861- 1865, Douglas County Heroes".

On the back it reads:

"Erected 1914 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy 1346 ."

In early 1998 this monument was taken apart and moved from original location at the old courthouse on Broad Street to the new courthouse on Hospital Drive.

Unveiled 26 April 1914.

The Douglasville Chapter #1346 of the U. D. C. is no longer active.




Located on highway junction 80 and Academy Street. The white marble with a soldier on the top. The front of the monument displays crossed battle flags, crossed muskets and Battle flag draped over a mess kit. Reading around the monument

“Your sons and daughters will forever guard the memory of your brave deeds.”
“Fidelity when extended to him to whom it is justly due resembles the stars of Freidland that shine best in the blackest night.”

Next Page

Previous Page

Yahoo! GeoCities Member Banner Exchange Info