“No braver soldier, no truer patriots ever adorned the history of any nation, they have won their title to an immortality of love and reverence. Nor shall your glory be forgotten while fame her record keeps.”
The Fannie Gordon Chapter #1143 of the U.D.C. is no longer active.
Located on the median in front of the Putnam County Court House, the monument, a soldier on a
"When marble wears away and monuments are dust, the songs that guard our soldier's clay will
still fulfil their trust."
To the women of the Southern Confederacy whose loving administration nursed the wounded to
health, and soothed the last hours of the dying, whose unselfish labors supplied the wants of their
defenders in the field. Whose unwavering faith in our cause showed ever a guiding star, through
the perils and disasters of war, whose sublime fortitude sustained them under every privation and
suffering whose floral offerings are yearly laid upon the graves of those whom they still honor and
love, and whose patriotism will teach their children to emulate the deeds of their Confederate sires
by who with a modesty excelled only by their worth have ever discouraged this tribute to their
By: R. T. Davis Camp No. 759 UCV
The Dixie Chapter #210 of the U.D.C. is no longer active.
To the soldier's left in place of the mini balls
there are crossed sabres and below that is inscribed:
Below in the far left, is a corner stone laid by the Grand Lodge of Georgia
FA&M July 16, 1898. John
H. Jones AGM. On the back of the monument there are 6 mini balls in the same
area as in the front. It reads:
On the right there are two crossed
cannons, and it reads:
“Yea and when thrones shall crumble down and human pride and grandeur
fall perishing glories all the pure devotion of thy valiant heart shall
live in heaven it is a part. Tell it as you may, it never can be told
the story of the men who wore the gray.”
“In memory of the boys in gray erected 1910 under the auspices of the
Sarah E. Hornady Chapter # 884 U. D.C."
The Sarah E. Hornady Chapter #884 of the U.D.C. is no longer active.
ETOWAH RIVER BRIDGE
The bridge was a major target of Andrew’s Raiders, during the Great Locomotive Chase. As Sherman left Cartersville on November 12, 1864 on his "March to the Sea" his troops burned the bridge to prevent being used after they left. After the war the bridge was rebuilt and used until the railroad bed was moved and a trestle was built west of the old bridge. These stone pillars are all that remains of the old bridge.
Erected by The Campbell County United Daughters of the Confederacy
January 1, l930.
After the Confederate Congress adopted the stars and bars March 4, 1861.
The ladies of Alabama had the West Point train stopped in Grantville. Ga. So they could buy the material for a flag. This they made and unfurled first at Fairburn, GA. Erected by the Georgia Division UDC June 3 1937.
The original marker, being beyound repair has been replaced by a joint effort of the Sons of Confederate Veterans Camps 1289 and 1361 and United Daughters of the Confederacy, 24 July, 1994
The Campbell County Chapter of the U. D. C. is no longer active.
The Ladies Memorial Association and the Cabiness Chapter # 415
United Daughters of
Wayside home, after the battle of Olustee North Florida casualties were brought up the Chattahoochee River to Fort Gaines where all available churches, stores and other buildings became temporary hospitals. Most outstanding of these was "Wayside Home" in the old Masonic building. On the site of the present one. Unknown soldiers, nine unknown Confederate soldiers who died in temporary hospitals here are buried in New Park cemetery.
These graves are decorated each Memorial Day. Federal prisoners- a number prisoners, overflow from the prison at Andersonville, were brought to Fort Gaines and kept under guard in the yard of the old county courthouse.
Here stood the cotton hill male and female Seminary incorporated by Act of the Legislature March 6, 1856, but in existence before that time. Professor Norman Flavius Cooledge, uncle of President Calvin Coolidge, who had come to Georgia for the climate became President of the Seminary in 1854 and remained there until 1862 when 103 of the men students joined the Army of the Confederacy. The discouraged Coolidge dropped teaching to go into business and the glory of the school once one of the South’s leading educational institutions vanished.
This village is made up of buildings and artifacts
By the citizens who wish to preserve the past…
Stealing or vandalizing would prevent your future friends from enjoying that, which cannot be replaced. Let no one regret that you were here… Thank you
In the Confederacy, Confederate Fort to protect Fort Gaines, and Confederate Gun boats, the Confederate Army Engineers in 1863 laid out a fort here, commanding a full view of the river for two miles below. A large magazine of lumber, sand then built about 60 feet from the bluff running with trenches north and south to the cannons. Breast works were thrown up on the bluff. Below on the riverbank, were a magazine and a cannon of the three cannons one remains at the site. John Seales, Dr. J. Mandeville, Dr. Gaston, Capt. John B. Johnson a resent graduate of West Point, were among the officers in charge. As southwest was not invaded, the fort was never used.
This monument is located on Ft. Gordon at cemetery #30.
The names on the monument are: C.E. Sellers, J. T. Bruckner,
George Buckner, W. J. Porter, C. H. Palmer, A. B. Palmer,
H. Rooks, F. H.
Hoffman, John Wiley, James Wiley, J. Wrens , J. Blackstone, J. Whitaker,
A. Avere, L. Phillips, D. Dye, B. Hatcher, E. Newsome, J. Livingston, J.
Carroll, G. Carroll, B. Fitzgerald. There were more names but they were
not legible nor can I say for sure the ones listed here are exactly