This monument is located on an island dividing Second Street and Cotton Avenue in the downtown business district. It was erected in "A D. 1879 by the Ladies Memorial Association of Macon in honor of the men of Bibb County, and of all who gave their lives to the south to establish the independence of the Confederate States." Under this is inscribed:

" With pride in their patriotism with love for their memory. The silent stone is raised. A perpetual witness of our gratitude."

The soldier is clad in a topcoat or an overcoat, in period dress called a “Great Coat”, being long with a cape over the shoulder. He gives the appearance of a southern gentleman. There are wreaths on all four sides. To the left of the soldier is the Seal of the Georgia Constitution. On the back is an array of military objects including muskets, cannon balls, bayonets, and grape shots. On the right, The Great Seal of the Confederacy.

Women of the Confederacy

This monument is a tall obelisk. It stands a First and Poplar Streets.There are figures on each side. On the right is "News from the Front". A woman holds a letter and comforts a child. On the left is "Angel of Mercy". A woman offers a drink to a wounded soldier.
There are carvings on the front and back that depict pioneer life.
The front carving shows the front of a cabin and people going about their daily lives. The theme is continued on the back with the scene showing the back of the cabin.
Under the front carvings are these words:

"Erected to the memory of the women of the south by their husbands, fathers, sons and daughters."

Confederate Cannon

On the cannon it reads: "Confederate cannon. This bronze 12 pounder Napoleon cannon was manufactured at the Confederate States arsenal in Macon. On April 14, 1864 it was shipped from the arsenal to the Confederate Army of Tennessee in Dalton, Ga. Erected by the General Edward Dorr Tracy, Jr. Wording on the cannon: 1864 no.41 Macon Arsenal. Marking E. T on the Barrel of the cannon. Camp #18 Sons of Confederate Veterans July 18, 1992.

Cannon Ball House
and Museum

The house was struck by a cannon ball during the Battle of Dunlap Hill, July 30,1864. The cannon ball was fired from General Stoneman’s guns in east Macon during the battle when the Union army tried unsuccessfully to take the Macon Volunteers. The cannon ball struck the sand sidewalk, passed through the second column from the left, entered the parlor over a window and landed unexploded in the hall.

You can see a spot on the mended column, inside traces the course by the mended parlor plaster and the dent in the hall floor. This mansion, was built in 1853 by Judge Asa Holt. It was formerly used as servant quarters. The house is still the residence of a descendant of Judge Holt. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. There is a Confederate museum in the rear of the house.

Birthplace of Sidney Lanier

Sidney Lanier, 19th century poet, linguist, musician, mathematician and lawyer, was born in this cottage, February 3, 1842. He graduated from Oglethorpe University then in Milledgeville. He served as a private in the Confederate Army and was captured while commanding a blockade runner. Lanier was married in 1867 to Mary Day of Macon where he practiced law with his father. Moving to Maryland he lectured at Johns Hopkins while carrying on his writing. He died at Lynn, N. C. September 7, 1881. The Victorian cottage is headquarters for Middle Georgia Historical Society. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Rose Hill Cemetery

Rose Hill was designed by Macon City Councilman, Simri Rose, in 1839. It is one of the oldest surviving public cemetery/parks in the United States. Confederate Square is the final resting place of approximately 600 Confederate and Union soldiers of the War Between the States. Three Confederate Generals are buried in Rose Hill. General Philip Cook fought in the Eastern Theater and was captured in a hospital in Richmond. After the war he was appointed Secretary of State for Georgia by Gov. John. B. Gordon. He served in that capacity until his death in Atlanta May 21, 1894. General Alfred Colquitt led his brigade at Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, The Wilderness, Spotsylvania and Petersburg. He surrendered his command at Greensboro, N.C. He served as Georgia’s Governor from 1876-1872 and U. S. Senator 1882-1894 when he died. General Edward Dorr Tracy was a Macon native and lawyer, he was killed leading his 1,500 men into battle at Port Gibson, Miss. on May 1, 1863. There are maybe 4 cemeteries in a row on the left hand side of Riverside Drive Rose Hill is the farthest one south.


This Memorial Stone sits at the base of the flag pole and reads:

The Ladies Memorial Association



Next Page

Previous Page

Yahoo! GeoCities Member Banner Exchange Info