The Madison monument is located in Hill Park on the corner of South Main and Crawford Streets. The inscription on the front reads:

“Lord God of host, be with us yet, lest we forget, lest we forget.”

A wreath encircles the letters, CSA. Then it reads:

“No nation rose so white and fair, none fell so pure of crime.”

Reading around the monument:

“Their heroism abides in our hearts. Their unchallenged valor shall continue to be the wonder and inspiration of the ages.”

Above this inscription are crossed muskets. On the other side of the monument is a battle flag partially furled Below this it reads:

“To the soldiers of the Southern Confederacy who died to repel unconstitutional invasion, to protect the rights reserved to the people, to perpetuate forever the sovereignty of the states.”

Erected 1908 by the Morgan County Chapter # 573 of the United Daughters of the Confederacy


Confederate Cemetery

This Granite Marker was placed in 1978 by the James W. Longstreet Camp 1289 Sons of Confederate Veterans and Morgan County Chapter # 573 United Daughters of the Confederacy. In the center of the graves there is a monument dedicated to "Our Soldiers." The Confederate Flag hangs furled while awaiting a nice breeze.

At this Confederate Cemetery the historical marker reads:

Here are buried 51 unknown and one known Confederate soldier and one Negro hospital attendant. These men died of wounds or disease in the Confederate hospitals located near by, known as Stout, Blackie, Asylum, Turnbull, and some temporary ones.
These hospitals operated from late 1862 to early 1865.
Gallant Confederate women of the vicinity helped care for the sick and wounded men. The federal raid here on November 18, 1864 did not molest the hospitals."





The monument is a tall monument with an obelisk on top with the inscription, "To Our Confederate Dead". Below that is a wreath with a flag with the date 61 to 65 on the bow. The monument is enclosed in a lovely little fence. The entire monument is raised from ground level and there are small plants to beautify it. It is also inscribed:

"Erected and dedicated, by Kennesaw Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy, Marietta, Georgia 1908."

On the left it reads:

"To the 3000 soldiers in this cemetery, from every southern state, who fell on Georgia Soil. In defense of Georgia rights and Georgia Homes."

"They sleep the sleep of our noble slain, Defeated, yet without a stain, proudly and peacefully."

On the back of the monument there is a flag not furled, waving as if in a breeze. Below the flag is inscribed:

"For though conquered, they adore it, love the cold dead hands that bore it."

To the right side the Confederate emblem with the UDC on it it reads:

"To our Cobb County Soldier, who ‘nobily’ "Illustrated" Georgia on many a hard won field; to those who died for a scarred cause and to those who lived to win a nobler victory, in time of peace."

At the entrance there is a small marker indicating Confederate Cemetery placed in front is a small Confederate Battle Flag.
Historical marker reads 3000 Confederate dead from every wouthern state are buried in this cemetery. Firts extablished for soldiers killed in a railroad collision in 1863, it became the resting place for dead from nearby battlefields. In 1866, under the direction of Miss Mary J. Green and Mrs. Charles J. Williams of the Georgia Memorial Association, bodies were moved here from the Chickamauga area. Land for the cemetery was given by Mrs. Jane Glover, Ann Moyer and other citizens of Marietta. A connon, which served Georgia Military inst. from 1852 to 1864, was used by the Confederate Army, captured by Sherman's forces, held as a trophy or war until 1910, and then placed in this cemetery.

The flag stood out in full salute, as the breeze caught it in full view. The base of the pole this marble marker list all the states of the Confederacy. Confederate States of America, listed are Alabama, Maryland, Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Florida, Missouri, Georgia, North Carolina, Kentucky, South Carolina, Louisiana, Tennessee and Virginia. Garden of Heros Dedicated to the Soldier of the South 1861-1865

This is an arch which indicates it is the entrance to the Cemetery. On the front at the very top it reads: "Erected A. D. 1911". Below this it reads:"Confederate Cemetery". There are Confederate graves all around it.

In the middle of the cemetery there is a marble marker with the St. Andrews Cross on top with 13 stars. On the front it reads:

"Confederate Veterans Died at Soldiers Home of Georgia."

Little Cannon

Upon this raised skid there is a cannon that is called the "Little Cannon". There is a bronze tablet which denotes: "The Sons of Confederate Veterans 1896" with the St. Andrews cross in the center. Below that it reads: "Georgia Military Institute", "Six Pound Bronze Howitzer." "Carriage replaced, barrel remounted 1999." "Coordinating committee Cobb County S. C. V. Camps, Kennesaw

Battlefield Camp #700, Leonidas Polk Camp # 1446, Camp McDonald Camp #1552, Chattahoochee Guard Camp # 1639, State of Georgia Building Authority cd."

Next Page

Previous Page

Yahoo! GeoCities Member Banner Exchange Info