This photo was taken before the Historic Midway Church, which has occupied its present site for 200 years, was moved to the east about 40 or 50 feet to make way for the widening of U. S. Highway 17, in 1950.

After the war, the Midway Society rebuilt the town. The current church, open to tour, was built in 1792 in a New England style and is the second oldest in Georgia. The area experienced prosperity until the War Between the States, when cavalry forces with Union Gen. William T. Sherman invaded the area during his March to the Sea. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick occupied Midway and Sunbury for six weeks, destroying plantations, crops, and the railroad. Kilpatrick used the church as a slaughterhouse and the churchyard as a corral. The church's prized melodeon was used as a meat block. (It has been preserved and today is used as a communion table.) Midway was abandoned after the War and the church stopped holding services. Today, the church is used for special events such as weddings.

The area has produced many famous people who have left their stamp on America. Several of these being Midway ministers: the Reverend Abiel Holmes, father of Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes, the author, and grandfather of Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes; the Reverend Jedidiah Morse, father of S.F.B. Morse, inventor of the telegraph; and Dr. I.S.K. Axson, grandfather of the first Mrs. Woodrow Wilson. General Daniel Steward, a member of the congregation, was the great grandfather of President Theodore Roosevelt. Five Georgia counties were named for Midway citizens: Baker, Gwinnett, Hall, Screven, and Stewart.

Midway Museum was built in 1957 in a raised-cottage style typical of those built on the coast in the eighteenth century. It houses many exhibits and materials about Midway's history, including exhibits and information on its Revolutionary War and Civil War periods. The museum's library can be used with permission for researching genealogy.

The beautiful, historic cemetery across the street contains huge live oaks that shade roughly 1,200 graves. Many burials are the final resting grounds of Midway's most distinguished persons, including General James Screven, General Daniel Stewart, and Louis LeConte of Woodmanston Plantation. The 6-foot-high, 18-inch-thick wall encircling the roughly 2-acre cemetery was built in 1813 of English brick, and was used as a corral by Union troops under Sherman. The monument in the center memorializes generals Stewart and Screven.

Directions: I-95 south from Savannah to Exit 76. Go west on GA 38/US 84 approximately 2.2 miles. Turn right on Martin Road. Drive 1.3 miles. to Midway National Historic District. Cemetery is directly ahead across US 17 and museum and church are on right.
Activities: Historical touring, museum. Call for special scheduled events, such as Fourth of July BBQ and re-enactment events.
Facilities: Museum, bookstore, restrooms.
Dates: Closed Mondays. Call ahead for museum hours, which change seasonally. Phone (912) 884-5837.
Fees: A small fee is charged for the museum.
Closest town: Midway.
For more information: Midway Museum, PO Box 195, Midway, GA 31320. Phone (912) 884-5837.




Milledgeville was the Georgia State Capitol during the war, 1861-1865. Found on East Greene Street the old Capitol Building is on the original State House Square. It was the site of some of the greatest debates in Georgia history. In its legislative chambers the secession convention was held. Secession was declared here 1861 and from here Governor Joseph Brown directed Georgia’s participation in the War Between The States. The fourth Capitol of Georgia, Milledgeville was named for John Milledge, who was Governor from 1802-1806. The beautiful gates at the north and south entrance to the square were constructed in the 1860’s of bricks from the arsenal destroyed by Sherman’s soldiers. Twice the building was partially destroyed by fire. Since 1879 the Georgia Military College (GMC) has occupied the 40 acre historic site. Today GMC is one of Georgia’s fastest growing two year colleges, the only Military Junior College in the state. Committed to academic excellence, GMC ’s primary purpose is to prepare students to transfer to junior and senior colleges, or universities, to pursue current and new careers and to become participating citizens in democratic process. Renovation began in August l998 to restore the building to near its original appearance. A regional historical museum and restoration of the house of Representatives Chambers will be available to visitors after its completion in the year 2000.

Confederate Monument

This tribute to the memory of the Confederate Soldiers was unveiled, April 26,1912. On the front is "CSA" and the furled battle flag with a broken shaft. Under the lion's head is a covered bowl. The soldier is standing with a gun. His heroism in the presence of the conquering foe was equaled only by his generosity to his fallen enemy. Reading around the monument, starting in the back it reads: "1861"; To the memory of the Confederate soldier who’s game is as imperishable as the everlasting hills, who’s courage is as unrivaled. Sing the dawn of civilization who’s name shines in undying glory to the pages of history this monument is lovingly erected by the Robert E. Lee Chapter Daughters of the Confederacy of Milledgeville, Georgia. Unconquerable patriotism and – self-sacrifice rendered, adopted the effort of his enemies. After his flag had folded forever, to destroy his proud inheritance."

Lieutenant Col. John M. Brown

Memory Hill Cemetery

This monument is to the memory of Lt. Col. John M. Brown 2nd Regt. State Troops born April 12, 1839 died July 26,1864, this monument is erected by his brother Joseph E. Brown in commemoration of his virtues, a gentleman, a soldier, and a Christian. A southern man and won his rights early by his respected acts of heroism and his individualism of his native state where ever he met the invading forces whoever regarded her enemies he never failed to strike in her defense.

He fell mortally wounded in battle before July 22, 1864 while gallantly leading his regiment a in charge on a battery of federal artillery. He was a warded herald southern man and won his rights early by his respected acts of heroism and chivalrous in defense of his native state where ever he and the invading forces who ever regarded her enemies he never failed to strike in her defense.

Private Edwin Francis Jemison

Memory Hill Cemetery

Edwin Francis Jemison was born Dec.1, 1844 and Died July 1, 1862. He was the second son of R. W. and S. C. Jemison, originally from Milledgeville, Ga. They were living in Louisiana at the outbreak of the War Between the States. Edwin enlisted in the 2nd Louisiana Cavalry and served in the Peninsular Campaign under General John B. Gordon. He fought in battle with General Joseph E. Johnston in the spring of 1862, against a giant union offensive along the outskirts of Richmond. In a series of bloody attacks they drove the Yankee’s back. There were very heavy losses on both sides, many of which fell before they really had a chance to live. Jemison was killed in action at Malvern Hill, Virginia in July 1862 at the tender age of seventeen. He is buried in Memory Hill Cemetery in Milledgeville, Georgia. He also served in the 2nd Georgia. His photo appears in "Rebel Georgia" by Boney.

Governor's Mansion

The Governor's Mansion is located on Hancock and Clark Streets. Completed in 1838, the executive mansion was the fifth and last residence occupied by Georgia Governors when Milledgeville was the Capitol of Georgia. The Palladian-inspired structure is considered the most perfect example of Georgian Architecture in America. Charles B. Cluskey designed the mansion and Timothy Porter of Farmington, Connecticut was the builder. The ten governors who occupied the mansion were George R. Gilmer, Charles J. McDonald, George W. Crawford, George W. Towns, Howell Cobb, Hershel V. Johnson, Joseph E. Brown, James Johnson, Charles J. Jenkins, and Brigadier-General Thomas H. Ruger. The last governor held office under orders of George H. Meade. In November, 1864 the mansion served briefly as Gen.William T. Sherman’s headquarters. Governor Joseph Brown was arrested at this site in May, 1865.

In 1868 the capitol was moved from Milledgeville to Atlanta. Since 1890 the mansion has been the home of Georgia College presidents. The two lower floors are open to the public.There are guided tours given hourly.

Today it serves as an historic house museum. It is the most noted of the Greek Revival Architecture in Georgia. It is a National Historical Landmark.

St. Stephens
Episcopal Church

St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church on Wayne Street, was built around 1841 and was consecrated in 1843. A Gothic roof now replaces the original flat roof that was destroyed by the explosion of a nearby arsenal during the War Between the States. This roof follows the design of the Gothic Revival period, being prevalent during the 1840’s to 1880 and often called Carpenter Gothic.
When the Yankees occupied Milledgeville the Federal troops stabled their horses in the church. Hoof prints are still visible. The Yankees poured sorghum and molasses down the pipe organ. They said is was to "sweeten the sound." A new organ was presented by George W. Perkins of New York after he heard about the damage by Sherman’s troops.

To Our Confederate Dead
Memory Hill Cemetery

Memory Hill Cemetery is located at the southern end of Liberty and Franklin Streets. This is a large historical cemetery containing the remains of 20 unknown Confederate soldiers and several Union soldiers. In a separate plot is the grave of General Charles P. Doles who was a native of Milledgeville, Ga.

In the town plan of 1803 the cemetery was one of four public squares, approximately 20 acres each, later changed to Cemetery Square. The Confederate Monument erected in 1868 here is a plain obelisk marked,

"Unknown, Confederates"




This is a statue of a Confederate soldier on top of a tall shaft. It is on the right side of Court House Square at Daniel Street and East Winthrope Avenue. Below the soldier is inscribed:


Erected June 3 1909 by the Wayside Home Chapter 1030 U.D.C.

“In honor of our Confederate soldiers whom power could not corrupt. Whom death could not testify. Whom defeat could not dishonor. Those who served the Confederacy”

Reading the inscription around the monument:

“They were men who by the simple manhood of their lives, by their strict adherence to the principles of right. By their sublime courage and unspeakable sacrifices, won to the heroism of death have preserved for us through the gloom of defeat.”
“ A priceless heritage of honor. For each single wreck in the war path of right, shall yet be a rock in the temple of right.”

To those who fell, Crossed flags are beneath the inscription


The Wayside Home Chapter #1030 of the U.D.C. in no longer active.




This monument is in Monroe, Georgia on the square in front of the courthouse. The monument faces Broad Street with Court Street on the left side. The front of the monument reads:

“On flames eternal camping ground, their solemn tents are spread, and glory guards, with solemn round, the bivouac of the dead.”


“To our Confederate dead.”

On the left side are crossed battle flags and the dates 1861-1865. The back of the monument reads:

“Now sleep the brave, who sinks to rest, by all their country’s wishes blest.”

On the right side are crossed muskets and the years1861-1865. Below on the 2nd tier is a corner stone in white marble and it reads:

"Erected June1,1907 by the Ladies Memorial Association and the surviving confederate veterans. On the back and front are the letters "CSA", topping this is a soldier standing at ease holding his musket.

Matthew Colbert Nunnally

This is Wilma Knight Memorial Park Cemetery, The monument is that of Matthew Nunnally, son of William B. and Mary Colbert Nunnally. He was born in this county March 18, 1839. A Cadet from Georgia, he entered the United States Military Academy at West Point. After a meritorious record he resigned upon the secession of his state from the union. In June, 1861 he was mustered into the Confederate Army for the period of the war as Captain of Walton Infantry Co H of the 11th Georgia Regiment of Bartow’s Brigade and Anderson Brigade Hood’s Division of Longstreet’s Corps. Army of Northern Virginia. On July 2, 1863 he was killed while commanding his company on the second day of battle in Gettysburg. On the back of the monument reads:

"A tribute of loving remembrance from Mary Nunnally Sandidge to the memory of her brother, whose young career was brief, brave and glorious. "The only Captain from Walton’s County that was killed in battle from 1861-1865."

On the soldier’s right are crossed cannons. Below this is inscribed:
“On flames eternal camping ground, their silent tents are spread, and Glory Guards with solemn round the bivouac of the Dead.”

On the soldier's left there are crossed sabres. Below this it reads:
"A young man of fine presents and talents of high purpose and courage of genial nature and devotion to his profession. His years of training at West Point fitted him to become a model soldier. He was ridged but kindly in discipline, unremitting in attention to duty, and mindful of the safety and comfort of his command always cheerfully sharing hardships and dangers. He led his company through many battles with marked distention and when he fell, while cheering on his company in the charge of Hood’s Division which drove the enemy from the Devil’s Den woods over the slopes of Devil’s Den ridge to the shelter of Round top mountain and of little round top. He was lamented by all who knew him, and by none so much as by the men of His company who had learned to respect, admire and love him. Written by Henry D Mc Daniel, Major Eleventh Georgia Regt., afterward Governor of Georgia, who witnessed his death."

The cemetery is located on Madison and Spring streets.




This tall decorative shaft has a Confederate soldier at the top. He is a bearded soldier, perhaps tired, he is leaning on his musket. The front of the monument reads,

“No Nation Rose so fair and White or fell so proud and pure of Crime.”

Erected by the Phil Cook Chapter #451 UDC 1911 In Honor of the confederate soldiers of Macon County Georgia. The top most panels on four sides CSA. Below is a battle flag, looks as though it were meant to blow in Breeze. Followed by the year1861-1865 and this is also on the four sides. On the back Reads “Gloriavictis” On a lower panel reads "Macon County holds in proud and grateful remembrance her brave and loyal sons who preferred death to betrayal of her principles". On the third tier under the left side of the soldier is the head of a gargoyle.

The Phil Cook Chapter #457 of the U. D. C. is no longer active.




In this circular park in front of the Courthouse on Madison, Washington, and Funderburg Streets stands the Confederate monument with two soldiers, one on each side. On the panel beside the soldiers reads:

“To our Confederate Soldiers of Jasper County. The record of whose sublime, self-sacrifice and undying devotion to duty, in the service of their country, is the proud heritage of a local posterity. In legend and lav. our heroes in gray shall forever live over again for us.”


“Crowns of roses fade, crowns of thorns endure. Calvaries and crucifixions take deepest hold of humanity. The triumphs of might are transient, they pass and are forgotten. The sufferings of right are graven deepest on the chronicle of nations.”

These words are in raised lettering between the two soldiers. On two sides are inscribed these letters: "C.S.A". The soldier on the left is an older soldier. Behind him on the monument are crossed sabres. He stands ready to draw his sabre on command. The young soldier on the right holds fast to his musket. On the monument behind him are crossed muskets

The Monticello Chapter #654 of the U. D. C. is no longer active.




This monument stands on the lawn on the Courthouse Square. The inscription reads: “1861- 1865” Under the date it reads, “Erected 1909 by the Moultrie-Mcneill Chapter # 661 the United Daughters of the Confederacy” On the rugged granite is embossed:
“In honor of our Confederate dead”; There are crossed flags on the side. Inscribed with:
“On fame’s eternal camping ground, their silent tents are spread, and glory guards with solemn round the bivouac on the dead”;
“Lest we forget.”

When I photographed this monument restoration work was being done on the CourtHouse and the entire square was fenced off. You might see some wiring in the photo.




On the front of the monument is the Confederate Seal. Circling the seal is inscribed: "The Confederate States of America February 22,1862*Deo Vindice. Dedicated to the Glory and Honor of the Montgomery County soldiers of the Confederate States of America for their unparalleled courage and gallantry in defense of their homeland and to their families and friends for their sacrifices and unwavering love and support. Erected by friends and supporters of General Robert A. Toombs Camp #932 Sons of Confederate Veterans. Erected 1997". On the second tier on the front it reads:
"1861 Confederate 1865.”
On the left side it reads

“Confederate States December 1860, SOUTH CAROLINA”;

The back displays a battle flag with the inscription


"The call went out from Richmond to townships great and small our Southern land is threatened the Yankees tread our soil. Our boys rose up to meet the foe and protect our Dixieland. They forced them out of Sumter, then Jackson made a stand. In many different places our boys fought valiantly, in summer heat and winter cold with Johnston, Jackson and Lee. Through many battles won and lost our boys were proud and brave, for heritage and southern rights, they gave their all to save.
Lee Murdock."

Below this are the letters "CSA". To the right is are quotes:

“It is well that war is so terrible else men would learn to love it too much."
Robert E. Lee.

“Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less.”
Robert E. Lee. Well if we are to die we are to die like men.”
Pat Cleburne, Franklin, Tenn. Dec. 1864

Next Page

Previous Page

Yahoo! GeoCities Member Banner Exchange Info