MILITARY STATE HISTORIC PARK
The Wilder Brigrade Monument under construction in 1899. The 85-foot-high limestone tower was completed in 1903. A stairway inside leads to an observation deck.
Survivors of Wilder's Brigade raised funds for the tower and named it for their Commander. Wilder returned to this area after the war and was elected mayor of Chattanoga in 1871.
The tower as it is today, restored.
For the past 20 odd years, There have been monuments all around this tower. About 80 plus.
This fall a new bypass around the park was completed. It did not follow where it was to go in 1980. The monuments were placed back in the original locations about one mile in either direction on Wilder Road. Only four monuments are there now.
Monuments located in the area.
This photos were taken by Paul Williamson, 6 December 2001. Some of the text is also his. Other information was taken from plaques in the area.
The soldier at the top of this monument stands at ease with his musket in hand.
The embossed lettering around the monument reads:
“Our Confederate soldiers.
To the defenders of the Confederacy, and the patriots record of whose fortitude
and heroism in the service of their country is the proud heritage of loyal
posterity. Tell ye your children of it and let your children tell their children
and their children another generation.”
On the front is a battle flag which appears to
be waving in the breeze. On the back is a furled battle flag. The monument was
the Longstreet Chapter #46 Daughters of the Confederacy.
Dedicated to Southern valor unveiled June 7, 1909.
1861 C.S.A. 1865
This granite marker is the grave site of James Longstreet. He served in the
military of the United States from 1833 to 1861. He then served as
Brigadier General in the Confederate States Army, June 1861. He was
promoted to Major General in May 1862, and then promoted to Lieutenant
General in September 1862. He Commanded the First Corps. Army of Northern
Virginia until April 9, 1865. All of this is on a scroll on the front of
the marker, as well as two crossed flags, one a battle flag and the other
an American flag. To the right of the monument reads: "Manassac to
Appomattox." On the left side it reads: "Palo Alto to Chapultepec." On
the back of the monument are two sabres and below them it reads: “Now sleep
the brave, who sink to rest. By all their country’s wishes blest." The
marker is located in the Alto Vista Cemetery.
This monument is located on the court house lawn. It is a large granite boulder and is flanked by urns. Carved upon it are these words: To those men of Jones County who gave their service in the
War Between the States
and The World War 1917-1918.
Located North Main Street.
On this tall pedestal stands an older
soldier, musket in hand and bayonet
To his side. On the 6th tier of the monument cannon balls are on each
corner. On the Court House
Square. The monument reads from the front facing west, “In honor of the
brave who fell defending the right of local self Government.”
“Our Confederate Dead.”
Erected by the women of
Greene County, AD 1898. On the side is inscribed
inscriptions are crossed sabres and on each corner of the 5th tier is a
cannon pointed upward. On the marble square that surrounds the
monument at ground level there are 4 cannon balls one on each corner.