To the soldier's right is a furled flag with 1861 at the top,and at the bottom 1865. To the left of the soldier are two crossed sabers and it reads:
On the back it reads:
The Larkin D. Watson Chapter of the UDC is inactive.
In March 1940 while a flagpole was being taken down from the public square, someone attached a wire to the monument and the soldier was accidentally pulled down from the mount of the granite base, and is in total disrepair. The soldier is gone but not forgotten.
The monument was given by the United Daughters of the Confederacy Jefferson Chapter # 1217. This monument was given in honor of the Confederate Soldiers of Jefferson, Georgia. It was unveiled on the public square in Jefferson, 26 April, 1911, at a cost of $1,700.00. The dedication took place while some of the Confederate Veterans were still living..
Repeat, “Lest We Forget” “Lest We Forget” Forget, I don’t think so
Source: The Georgia Confederate
Publication of the Ga. Div.
Sons of Confederate Veterans
The Jefferson Chapter #1217 of the U.D.C. is no longer active.
The Twiggs County Chapter #1227 of the United Daughters of the Confederacy is no longer active.
Located on Johnson and McDonough Streets. The entrance is an arched stone gateway. On the top of the gate are groups of cannon balls and two lamps. On the left side of the arch Erected by the Atlanta Ladies Memorial Association of Atlanta, Georgia April 1934. Mrs. Arthur McDermotte Wilson, Jr. President on the right
In this vicinity were fought the engagements that ended the Atlanta Campaign of 1864. Confederate forces under Gen. Hardee, endeavoring to defend the remaining R.R. to Atlanta, against outnumbering Federal troops, Aug. 31 & Sept. 1. were forced to withdraw to Lovejoy's. The area within the enclosure was a burial place of Confederate soldiers who died in local hospitals during the war. After its close, Confederate casualties(buried on the battlefields where they fell) were removed to this hallowed ground which was designated at the time, The Pat Cleburne Cemetery.(This name was in honor of General Patrick Cleburne.)
The cemetery is laid out in the form of a Confederate Battle Flag. The walk ways are the crosses, with burials in the triangular areas. Between 600 and 1000 unidentified Confederate soldiers are buried here.In the center of the cemetery is a large stone marker which reads,
These soldiers were of Hardees's Corps. commanded by Maj. Gen Parick R. Cleburne, Lieut Gen. Stephen D. Lee's Corps and a portion of Maj. Gen. Joseph Wheeler's Cavalry Corp. Commanded by Lieut. Gen. William J. Hardee and charged with the defense of Jonesboro-though vastly outnumbered by Federal forces-they gave their lives to parry the final thrust at the heart of the Sountern Confederacy.
Erected by the Atlanta Ladies Memorial Association1934
Located at 11001 Tata Blvd. Jonesboro. As seen from the highway this magnificent monument represents the shape of the badge of membership of the Sigma Chi Fraternity.
Engraved on the front of the monument is:
The back of the monument holdes five bronze plaques. Two of these plaques will be quoted here: