Memorial Park is between Old Oak Hill and Stonewall cemetries on East Taylor Street. The memorial park has a monument to the soldiers who served in the War Between the States. On the front it reads:

“Our tribute of gratitude, reverence, and love to the soldiers of the Confederate States of America.” "1861 – 1865".

Above this are the letters "C S A" encircled with a wreath. On the back is the Confederate Seal. Below that it reads:

"Erected by James Boynton Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy, of Griffin and Spalding County, November l909."

To the left of the soldier is a furled Confederate flag and below that it reads:

“In everlasting remembrance of the heroic deeds, sublime self-sacrifice and undying devotion to duty and country, of Spalding County’s Confederate soldiers.”

To the soldier's right are crossed muskets and it reads their mausoleum is our heart, their fame hath deathless bloom; time is their watchful centinal, and glory guards their tomb.

Stonewall Confederate Cemetery

Stonewall Cemetery is located on part of a plot given as a burial site by General Lewis Lawrence Griffin, when he founded Griffin in 1840. Several hundred Confederates and one Union soldier, casualties of the Battle of Atlanta and Jonesboro, from the hospital at old Synodical College and the battlefields, are buried here. The principal monument here was among the first to the Confederate dead. The first recorded Confederate Memorial Day in Griffin was October 26,1866 making it among the first in Georgia. Rev. D. L. Gwinn, Pastor of the First Baptist Church, delivered an eloquent and appropriate address on that occasion. The monument is topped with an Angel. There are cannons on all four corners, and what can be read is as follows,

“In memorium our Confederate Dead."

To the right of the Angel it reads:

"Erected by the Ladies Memorial Association of Griffin, Ga. 1869".

On the back it reads:

"Rest! Soldier! Rest."

On the right side of the monument:

"Now sleep the brave, who sink to rest. By all their country's wishes blest.
The Laurel leaf of shining green will still around their tomb be seen."

This granite boulder is to the “Home of the Brave”, the women of Griffin and Spalding county who gave their services during the War Between the States from ’61 to ’65. The James S. Boynton Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy #222 have placed this boulder. It reads:

“No act of justice, no failure of duty, no shadow of wrong has left a blot upon their souls or a strain upon these memories.” A. D. 1922.




The soldier on the tall pedestal is holding his musket with his canteen and bayonet attached to his belt. Just below the soldier ingrained in a diamond shape space are the letters CSA. Below in the dark space it reads "Our Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865". There are marble cannon balls on the corners of the monument.

"Fate denied them victory, but crowned them with glorious immortality."

There are crossed flags. The marble is mildewed and it’s hard to tell what the flags represent. I can only presume they are Confederate Flags. There are three rifles, and maybe a canteen.


Poet and Confederate Hero

Author of the Great Poem
All Quiet Along the Potomac


"All quiet along the Potomac," they say,
"Except now and then a stray picket
Is shot, as he walks on his beat, to and fro,
By a rifleman hid in the thicket.
'T is nothing - a private or two, now and then,
Will not count in the news of the battle;
Not an officer lost - only one of the men,
Moaning out, all alone, the death-rattle."

All quiet along the Potomac to-night,
Where the soldiers lie peacefully dreaming.

More than one person clams authorship.




This soldier’s monument is on the grounds of the Hart County Courthouse in Hartwell. The monument is a tall shaft with an aggressive looking soldier. He holds his musket firmly. Below him on the front of the monument are the letters "C.S.A". There are stars around the monument. The front bears a broken flag staff with the Confederate battle flag. A strip of the St. Andrews cross is torn away and lays across the lower end of the flag. Below are the dates "1861-1865" followed by “In loving memory of our Hart county Soldiers.” On the back are the letters "C.S.A." and the dates "1861-1865".
The monument was unveiled 23 July 1908




C. S. A.




There are no inscriptions except those in the front. The monument was unveiled July 21, 1908. The two figures on the lower pedestal are Robert E. Lee facing South and Stonewall Jackson facing the North. The soldier on the top shaft is facing east. There are Battle-Flags on the east side of the pedestal. Stacked guns are on the west side of the monument. The cost was $3,000.00

The O. C. Horne Chapter #282 of the UDC is no longer active.
This monument was unveiled 31 July 1908




Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America, 1861.
Confederate Seal

On the right a configuration of Confederate Flags, Battle Flag, Stars and Bars, Stainless Banner, Bonnie Blue Flag and the Third National. On the back, U. S. Secretary of War, U. S. Senator, and U. S. Congressman.
On the left side it reads Presented to preserve the memory of the sacrifices of the people of the South as exemplified by out President. Below is the logo for the Son of Confederate Veterans. Below is Appling Grays Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp # 918. Local Confederate Units, Appling Grays, Company I, 27th Georgia Infantry. Appling Volunteers, Company F, 47th Georgia Infantry. Appling Volunteers, Company B, 54th Georgia Infantry. Satilla Rifles, Company K, 54th Georgia Infantry. Capt. Ben Milikin’s Militia, Company F, 1st Symon’s Reserves Company K, Clinch’s 4th Georgia Cavalry.
Capt. Silas Crosby’s Militia.
This monument is located on S. Tallahassee Street and Jeff Davis Street.




The soldier on top of this monument is ready to draw his saber. He appears to be a Calvary-man. On the large part of the monument in front is a battle flag. Below the flag is inscribed:

The War Between the States"

The vista here shows him in front of the Liberty County Court House. The monument reads, "Erected 1915 by the Liberty County Chapter #480 United Daughters of the Confederacy."

"Lord God of hosts, be with us yet lest we forget lest we forget."

The Liberty Independent, Troop D 5th Ga. Cavalry Liberty Volunteers, Co. H. 25th Regiment Infantry. Altamaha Scouts Co. F. 25th Regiment Volunteer Inf.
In memory of the Confederate soldiers of Liberty County, the record of those sublime self-sacrifice and undying devotion to duty in the service of their country is the proud heritage of a loyal posterity.

C. S. A.

Our Confederate Dead

This monument was unveiled 19 January 1928.




Jefferson Davis
State Historic Site

Traveling East on highway 107 from Ashburn to Fitgerald, three miles from Irwinville, you will find the Jefferson Davis Park Road.
This road leads to the Jefferson Davis Park. This site remembers the site where President Jefferson Davis was captured There is a house museum on the site, built as a replica of the Little White House. Two historic markers tell the story of the capture.
"On May 4, 1865, Jefferson Davis arrived in Washington, Georgia (178 miles NE), where he performed his last duties as President of the Confederate States of America. Soon thereafter, with a small staff and escort, he departed enroute to the trans-Mississippi Department where, undaunted by the tragic surrenders at Appomattox and Durham Station, he intended to unite the forces of Generals I. Kirby Smith, Taylor, Forrest, Maury and Magruder "to form an army, which in the portion of that country abounding in supplies, and deficient in rivers and railroads, could have continued the war until our emeny, foiled in the purpose of subjugation, should, in accordance with his repeated declaration, have agreed, on the basis of a return to the Union, to acknowledge the Constitutional rights of the States, and by a convention, or quasi-tready, to guarantee the security of person and property." His family joined him near Dublin.

On the night of May 9th, after a difficult journey via Sandersville, Dublin and Abbeville, he camped at this site, unaware that pursuit was close behind. At dawn, his camp was surrounded by Union cavalry and the revered leader of the Lost Cause was taken to Fortress Monroe, Virginia, where, until May 13, 1867, he was held as a "State prisoner," his hope for a new nation, in which each state would exercise without interference its cherished "Constitutional rights." forever dead." Late on May 8th, the night before his arrival at this site. Mr. Davis and his party had camped in Abbeville (26 miles NE), unaware that pursuit was close behind. Their pursuers, the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry, Lt. Col. Henry Harnden, had learned in Dublin of their passage and, after many hours of trailing through swamps and over boggy roads, reached Abbeville shortly after Mr. Davis' departure. Stopping only to feed and water. Harnden's men were resuming the pursuit when the 4th Michigan Cavalry, Lt. Col. B. D. Pritchard, arrived and learned Mr. Davis' probable route.

Pritchard was bound down-river to intercept other Confederate officials. After Harnden had departed, he rode on some 12 miles; then, abandoning his own mission, he made a forced march and after finding the Davis camp late that night by posing in Irwinville as the escort, he surrounded it quietly and waited for dawn.

Harnden had camped a few miles away. Unaware of Pritchard's presence, he moved up just before dawn to surround the camp. His advance was fired upon and, in the fight that followed, two Michigan soldiers were killed before a prisoner taken by Harnden's men revealed the idenity of the "enemy."

During this unfortunate collision, Pritchard closed in and seized Mr. Davis and his party, thereafter claiming for the 4th Michigan the fruits of the 1st Wisconsin's labors.

The Jefferson Davis monument was unveiled 3 June 1936.

Marker of the Jefferson Davis Highway near Irwinville. Route 2.

Next Page

Previous Page

Yahoo! GeoCities Member Banner Exchange Info