Sharing our Links to the Past
By Wally and Frances Gray
Back to Home Page

Emanuel Richard Lundquist

Eman.jpg (13580 bytes)

Emanuel Richard Lundquist
(See photo with wife and two children below)

#M6 LUNDQUIST, Emanuel Richard (Merchant)

Born: 13 Mar 1867 Broten, Amneharad, Socken Skaraborgs, Sweden
Died: 18 Oct 1925 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

Father: #M12 Carl Gustav (Larsson) LUNDQUIST, Tenant Farmer (9 Feb 1834-24 Sep 1880)
Mother: #M13 Karin (Carolina) ERRSON (12 Dec 1832-11 Mar 1903)

Married: (1) #M7 Grace Honor BUSHMAN 6 Jan 1892 (15 Jun 1873-15 May 1912). They had eight children.

1. Clarence Richard LUNDQUIST (13 Apr 1893-4 Apr 1968), m (1) Mercy Malvina Groo BYWATER 28 Oct 1919. m (2) Lacy Elizabeth ALPLANALP 16 Jun 1939.
2. Leo Ivan LUNDQUIST (4 Dec 1894-24 Mar 1975)
3. Ruby Grace LUNDQUIST (6 Jan 1898-19 Feb 1959), m Franklin SMUIN 11 Sep 1924.
4. Carl Jacob LUNDQUIST (18 Mar 1900-25 Jun 1918)
5. Roy Emanuel LUNDQUIST (23 Sep 1902-27 Sep 1965) m Leila COTTERELL 19 Jun 1929
*6. #M3 Elsie Gladys LUNDQUIST (3 Oct 1904-living) m (1) #M2 Donald Oliver MCNABB 29 Nov 1928. m (2) James Malcolm SAYE 22 Aug 1974.
7. Lucille Beatrice LUNDQUIST (15 Dec 1907-11 Jun 1909)
8. George Bushman LUNDQUIST (10 Nov 1908-8 Oct 1990), m Mildred PUGMIRE 18 SEP 1936.
* Indicates direct line to Frances Mildred McNabb

Married (2) Ada Rosa FLORY 13 Sep 1913 (19 Jun 1883-22 Mar 1973)

1. Mary Flory LUNDQUIST (living), m Clyde ROBERTS
2. Florence Edna LUNDQUIST (living), m (1) Kenneth Matson, (2) George W. Gribble.
3. Reid Franklin LUNDQUIST (living), m Dorothy Lund.
4. Pauline Elanore LUNDQUIST (living), m Luke Hiltner.

Emmanual.jpg (47483 bytes)

Emanuel Richard Lundquist, Leo Ivan Lundquist, Clarence Richard Lundquist
and Grace Honor Bushman Lundquist (about 1897)

Photographer: Newcome, Salt Lake City, Utah

Autobiography by Emanuel Richard Lundquist.
(Copied from the personal handwritten record book of Emanuel R. Lundquist by Elsie Lundquist McNabb, August 1954.  The record book was borrowed from his wife Ada Flory Lundquist and returned to her by Elsie. Elsie said that she made no changes in the text for spelling, etc. The record was written throughout his life, added to as time went on.)

Emanuel Richard Lundquist was born March 13, 1867, at Broten, Amneharad, Socken Skaraborgs, Sweden, on a small farm, being the sixth child in the family of seven brothers and two sisters, in the following order: Huldah Maria, born July 29, 1858; Victor Gabriel, Sept. 6, 1859; Johannes, Apr. 23, 1861 (died May 17, 1861); Aron William, Apr 25, 1862; Alexander George, Feb. 6, 1865 (died Jan. 19, 1891); Emanuel Richard; Charles Emil, Sept. 2, 1869; Eric Benjamin, Dec. 17, 1871; Hilma A[u]gusta, Dec. 28, 1873. All the above children, except Eric Benjamin, were born at Broten, Sweden, and he was born at Delbeck.

My father, Karl Gustav Rosin* Lundquist (son of Lars Johan Rosin*) was born at Luckebo, Lerbeck, Socken, Sweden, Feb. 9, 1834, died Sept. 24, 1880 at my birth place, at the age of 46.

My mother, Carolina Ericson (Lundquist) (daughter of Eric Ericson and Marit Olafson) was born at Norra Lekvatten Soken Varmlands, Sweden, Sept. 12, 1832, and died at Hyde Park, Utah, March 11, 1903. They were married Nov. 20, 1857.

From what I can learn and remember of my early boyhood, I was of a quiet disposition. When at the age of six years, while going to a well for water in the frosty season, I slipped and fell in the water which was about 12 feet deep. I remember going up and down in the water three times, when through some miraculous manner, I was brought to the top of the well. There was no one there but myself, and at such an age and size, could not help myself, nor understand my position.

The next threat I had was at about the age of 11, while my brother and I were hauling brush from the woods, and crossing a small ditch having no bridge, I rolled off in front and fell with my head in front of one of the wheels. But the oxen stopped just as the wheel touched my head, which was the only thing that prevented instant death that time.

In the year 1880 we first heard the Gospel, by one Olaf Olafson, a farmer living some 12 miles south of us. He being in the habit of going (driving) to the Flour Mill and passing always by our place would occasionally stop in and talk of Mormonism and Utah (Zion), mother being the only one in the family who apparently gave any attention to the same. About a year later, however, after the death of my father, we had sold our farm and all things belonging to it for some 4,000 crowns (Krawns), and prepared for journeying across the waters.

We started about the 26 of Aug., 1881 for Gotteborg, and the following day Mother, Charle, Benjamin, Hilma and myself were baptized into the Church by Elder A. G. Johnson at the above named city. We arrived about a month later at Logan, Utah, and remained there for a number of years. About this time Victor, Aron, and Alex came from the East and joined us, and were also baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, but have not up to this time (1921) taken any further interest in it, (excepting Ben who lives in Smithfield, Utah) they, with Hulda, having preceded us emigrated to Illinois. Hulda, Charles, Aron, Victor, and Hilma later made their homes in California.

The first work of any kind that I did was in the coming winter at Jorgensen's farm, about five miles north of Logan. While there, riding a big horse to water, I was thrown off, and in the shock which I received, fainted. I was carried and placed on a bed, remaining there about 14 hours before I came to; but having received no bodily injury, I soon recovered. I did not, however, get any compensation except my board for the work I did, and thinking it was customary to work for nothing in this country, I let matters go.

About the year 1884, we were located in Hyde Park, about 5 miles north of Logan. My mother lived there until 1903, at which time she passed away.

Moses Thatcher (then one of the Twelve Apostles) was the next man to give me work, doing chores. Here I remained seven or eight months, receiving $4.00 cash and $4.00 in tithing orders per month. By this time I was able to speak the language. My next work was on a farm at Preston, Idaho. I received a cow for a whole summer's hard work, and after giving it to mother, the cow got bloated from eating green Lucerne and died.

Here is an incident which happened to me while cutting timber in Logan Canyon with one of my brothers. We were sliding logs from above a perpendicular jump of about 150 feet. The flat above where the timber grew was steep enough so the logs would slide at a terrific speed when started, then shot over this jump-off into the depths below, carrying them at times from 8 to 10 feet in the ground. Victor was sideways above me, starting logs, and I was about 2 rods above the edge of the jump-off. One log he started, weighing 700 or 800 pounds, shot downwards, then struck a stump and turned rolling towards me, and before I had time to turn, it was right on me. I began trying to jump over it. I thought I was doomed to go down with it, it rolling at a fast and relentless speed, but at a point of 5 or 6 feet from the edge of the jump, there being a small hollow in the ground, I stumbled into it, and the huge log rolled over me, slightly bruising one of my limbs. I lay there amazed, clinging to a small bush sufficiently strong enough to hold me from falling (rolling) into the depths of eternity. There must have been some unseen power present to prevent the threatening danger being carried out.

In the year following, this same brother, Victor, and I started out in search of work. We traveled long distances on foot along Oregon Short Line, and after reaching Caldwell, Idaho, Victor wanted me to remain here alone while he proceeded further into the Walla Walla, Washington territory. I worked on the section in Caldwell for a while, and from there crossed a small desert westward into Reynolds Creek, remaining there for a number of months at $20 a month and board.

Going from there towards Silver City, Idaho, I wintered in the canyon, cutting fence posts. While engaged in this line, I had some very rough experiences, sleeping out in a poor lumber shanty on the frozen ground, and not having enough bedding I would lay shivering with cold at night. I had been there but a short time while I nearly split my foot in the instep with an ax. I had to keep this foot tied up in a gunny sack for two or three weeks, and by the time it was healed up, while chopping off a log a slim tree that had been bent under the log, flew up and struck me square in the eye, knocking me almost senseless, and also perfectly blind in one eye, which caused me a great deal of pain and annoyance for some time. But somehow I managed to get myself into Silver City, quite a distance on foot, there an eye doctor fixed me up, so that eventually I received my sight again.

I had great difficulty in getting my pay for this work, but after succeeding, while going down towards Reynolds Creek, a rough-looking man approached me pointing a six shooter at me, with the intention of doing me injury and getting my money. But it appears he was prevented from shooting, until I got away. It was a miracle I did not get both robbed and killed. Out of this money I paid my first tithing, $10.00 to Bishop Maines of Hyde Park, and shortly afterwards reached home safe, in the spring of 1886.

For the next five years I spent the time in learning the cabinet trade and housebuilding. This became quite natural to me, and I was fairly successful at both. My first shop work for a short time was at Lundquist's Furniture Store at Logan, Utah, and next at Engstrom's Furniture store at 69 East 2nd South, Salt Lake City, as apprentice for my board. From that time on I commenced house-building in Salt Lake and at Thistle, Utah. The first place I built was a store and two rooms for two of my brothers (Aron and Alex) at Thistle, and one three-room frame house for myself near Jordan River, Salt Lake, and many other buildings too numerous to mention.

The first business I engaged in was at Spanish Fork, Utah, in company with one of my brothers (Victor) at furniture manufacturing, but owing to unhealthy climate and for a number of other obstacles, we did not remain there a year. For quite a number of years now I had seemingly gone through without any dangerous attacks of any note, but before five years were up, I was confronted by some ugly and serious disturbances which threatened my life more than ever. I had once jumped through a window to escape being shot with a Winchester rifle, and a great many other occurrences of a similar nature. I did not know at the time of all these happenings that a certain evil power was aiming and very determined to end my life, and I was even overtaken by strong impressions of self destruction through despondency, etc.

I am now, however, well aware of the fact that I had a certain work to perform and was not destined to be taken quite so soon. If I had been as attentive as I should have been in the performance of my duties in the church, I would surely have avoided a great deal, if not all, of this trouble. When we are negligent in these things, the adversary or the destroyer has power over us, sometimes to the taking of our lives.

Through the necessity of having to go anywhere and everywhere for work, associating with all classes and kinds of people, I became further and further led, unknowingly to the path of error. As I now see and understand, no other results could have followed.

While being engaged in the mercantile business for some 15 months at Thistle, I lost all, and more, that I had previously gained by working myself in debt hundreds of dollars through thoughtless and unprofitable investments, and also aiming to help others who by carelessness and wreckless neglect have been overcome and failed in business. I, however, gained a great deal of valuable experience which I could not have obtained through any other source.

It was during this stay at Thistle I met a young lady from Fairview, Utah, then named Grace Bushman, who later became my first wife. Many months later we were married at Salt Lake, the 6th day of January, 1892, Justice Greenman performing the ceremony. Five years later, however, we were sealed and received endowments in the Salt Lake Temple, June 24, 1897. As far as my observation is concerned we must have been well matched, as we have been well satisfied and contented with our union so far. Our four children, three boys and one girl have been very healthy and bright as we have been successful in raising them. [Note by Wallace F. Gray: This part must have been written before 1902. See list of children above.]

In the summer of [18]92 we moved from Thistle to Lehi (former home and birthplace of Grace), where we remained but a few months, owing to poor prospects. We then took up our abode in Salt Lake, in the house I had previously built, although I owed more on it than it was worth. We managed, however, by hard work and many trying encounters to clear it in a couple of years, and again mortgaged it for the purpose of going into grocery business. This we did on a small scale at 220 J Street in the fall of 1894 and continued there fairly successful for over a year. For several reasons we moved our business to 585 Fifth Avenue, where we remained with still better success for over two years.

About this time I concluded to take an active part in the church affairs. On June 29, 1896 I was rebaptized by Elder John Cartwright in the Salt Lake Tabernacle, and reconfirmed by Bishop M. S. Woolley July 2, 1896.  [Note by Wallace F. Gray: Rebaptism was a nineteen century practice. Not considered essential to salvation, it was nevertheless practiced for rededication purposes and other reasons. Printed membership forms in the Church from 1877 until 1900 had a place for rebaptism. In 1897 the practice was discontinued. See The Story of the Latter-day Saints  (first edition) by James B. Allen and Glen M. Leonard , pp. 425-426.] I was ordained to the office of a priest by Elder J.P. Sorensen Sept. 25, 1896, and to the office of Elder by Counselor Herbert J. Foulger, Sr. June 14, 1897, all of which was done in the Twenty-First Ward in Salt Lake City, Utah.

During the last few years I have acted in the capacity of block or visiting teacher and attended to other duties commonly required of an Elder in the church to the best of my ability. I have paid my tithing and fast donations and assisted in administering to the sacrament, and upon many occasions administered to sick people with success. For all these things I have been repaid many fold already in this life, and know that there are also treasures elsewhere in store, which will not fade, and are awaiting me and all others who prove true and faithful to the end.

I had a number of trying difficulties and experiences also of late years, but by the power of God and faith in His promises, I have been successful and able to overcome everything in a much more satisfactory manner than before. As dangers of a more serious nature have been kept at further distance, I can now see my way much clearer and have great hope for the future. We have been able of late, by the help of God, to secure ourselves, as a family, with a comfortable home and business, and also have a three-room house to rent. We are all enjoying good health and numerous other blessings too many to here mention. At my 33rd birthday I was overtaken by about 25 of the neighbors and a good time was indulged in.

Prior to this I composed a written suggestion to the Presidency of the Church, which I was strangely impressed to do, and did not feel at ease until I had it accomplished. My suggestion was how to promote home industry in Utah by and through the Mormon visiting teachers [home teachers] throughout the state, urging and educating the people to buy home made goods, and not to give it up until success was gained.

On April 1, 1901 at a regular session of the Eleventh Quorum of Elders at the Twenty-first Ward I as unanimously sustained by the Quorum and ordained Second Counselor to President L.M. Iverson by Angus M. Cannon, Pres. of the Salt Lake Stake, which position I held till the 8th of May, 1905, when I was ordained a Seventy by Rulen S. Wells.

During the summer of 1901 I went to Fairview and built a $1600.00 residence for Sarah Fowles, being able by that to clear up most all indebtedness which had been contracted in buying and building on our present location, 579 Fifth Avenue. During the fall of 1897 I had purchased the lot - 2 1/2 x 10 rods for $667.25, paying $300.00 down and the balance on 10% interest. Doing considerable building and improving on the lot and having also opposition in business, made it difficult in the extreme to get through it. In the spring of 1902 P. Hoffman, our competitor, quit business, which helped to improve our own business to a degree.

In the early part of 1902 I was appointed presiding teacher of the First Division of the Twenty-first Ward by Bishop Woolley. January 13, 1912 I was ordained a High Priest by Apostle James E. Talmage, which ordination I have estimated higher and placed more value upon than anything I have received in this world so far.

In the year of 1912 on the 15th of May I had the misfortune of losing my wife, after an illness of bronchial pneumonia, lasting but 10 days. She had an asthma condition which bothered her throughout her married life and longer. She was the mother of 8 children - 5 boys and 3 girls, and was true and faithful both to the church and to her family.

About 3 years prior to the above we lost Lucille, being at the time 2 1/2 years of age. She set fire to her clothes, thereby burning herself so badly that she died the same day, or June 11, 1909.

Nine years later, June 25, 1918, we lost one of our best boys, namely, Karl, who was 18 years old, from what we thought was a sun  stroke.

Going back to the time after my wife died, I must not pass without stating that I experienced some very severe hardships in coping with life's problems alone, having to look after household cares in connection with business. The problems multiplied until it became almost unbearable. As time went on I decided I would not live in this manner any longer than I could help, so I hired quite a number of housekeepers and at last married one of them. My marriage to Ada Rosa Flory took place Sept. 2, 1913 in the Salt Lake Temple.

I was promised in a patriarchal blessing prior to this occurrence that I would have a true and faithful woman as wife and helpmate, which I must admit has come to pass to the very letter. In all, 12 children have been born into our family so far, and are my labors ended yet? I should say, no! I hope I can spend a few years before I get through in doing work for my dead ancestors.

*For reasons noted elsewhere (see History of the Lundquist Family) the name Rosin was thought to be a family name at the time of this writing.

[Note by WFG: Excerpted information in another document by Emanuel Richard Lundquist:]
    1. "Work done in the Salt Lake Temple by Emanuel Richard Lundquist for the following names: Lars John Lundquist, Johannes Lundquist, Alexander George Lundquist. Were baptized and confirmed 14 March 1905; endowments, 3 Sept. 1913, and 4 June 1920. Carl Jacob Lundquist, son, endowed 2 April 1920."
    2. "On the 19 Feb. 1891, took out Citizenship Papers, in the Third Judicial District Court of the United States, in and for Utah Territory."

I Remember My Father
(The following was written by Elsie Lundquist McNabb Saye in August 1998, telling some of her remembrances of her father, Emanuel Richard Lundquist.)

At this writing I am almost 94, and as I look back I can say the guidance and foundation in the Church my parents gave me, and especially my father who was widowed and left with seven children (Lucille having died as a child) from ages three to eighteen when he was in his 40s. My father was sincere and faithful in his love and devotion to the gospel, and he instilled the same in us children as we grew up. He and mother provided a good foundation which was a vital bulwark and strength to me throughout my life as I went through the trials of life.

He was a man of many gifts. He built our two-story home on 579 Fifth Ave., with a grocery store on the right side. We had a ward within walking distance, and were faithful in attending. We learned to work and help, and my father kept an account book of our tithing with the money we earned. We had family prayer morning and night, each taking a turn. I remember seeing him give the Sacrament prayer with his right hand uplifted and saying it in his slightly broken Swedish accent. He had us each one baptized at age eight, and usually soon after we were given our patriarchal blessing. He was the scribe for mine. We were taught to fast for at least one meal on Fast Sunday. Sacrament meeting was at 2 o'clock, and we fasted until we got back from that. We had a housekeeper at first, and then Ada Rosa Flory came as a housekeeper, and he found in her a good, faithful Latter-day Saint, whom he married. They had four children who have all been good brothers and sisters to me.

Roy from Father's  first marriage and Reid from his second marriage each filled foreign missions (Roy to Germany and Reid to Finland.)

Father died when he was 57 of a heart attack.

Home | Biographical Index |
Frances McNabb Gray Ancestor Chart | The Lundquist Family


1998-2000 Wallace F. and Frances M. Gray. All rights reserved. This Web site may be freely linked. Please send comments and suggestions and report broken links to us at     FAX: 1-520-282-1175