Scrambling after UFOs

Index Page

The six F6F "Hellcats" made visual contact with the object described as the size of three aircraft carriers side by side, oval shaped, very streamlined like a stretched-out egg and pinkish in color. The witness who filed this report said that some kind of vapor was being emitted around the outside edges from portholes or vents. The object was observed at noon in a clear sky at an estimated altitude of 65,000 feet. After hovering in a fixed position above the Hanford Nuclear Reactor for an additional twenty minutes, the object disappeared going straight-up as the six Hellcats limped back to the Pasco Naval Air Station (Washington).


Ensign Roland D. Powell and five other Grumman F6F Hellcat pilots were scrambled to intercept an unknown flying craft 'the size of three aircraft carriers side by side' hovering at high altitude above the top-secret plutonium production facility for the world's first nuclear bombs at Hanford.


Cone-shaped UFO. Chased by pilot Thomas Mantell over Godman Army Air Field-Fort Knox, Kentucky. It has been suggested Mantell was chasing one of the then-classified Skyhook balloons.


CAA [later FAA] spotted a round, shiny object. Marine fighter pilot and Air Force would attempt an intercept. Jets from Langley Air Force Base in Virginia tried still another intercept. "Probable balloon" Lieutenant Edward Rupplet.

The UFO was persued by a F-47 aircraft on combat patrol from a 10,000 to 27,000 foot altitude. During the aerial dogfight, the UFO attempted to ram the F-47 on several occasions, before leaving the area. UFO encounters have become quite commonplace at this AEC site.


Jet fighters had been scrambled almost nightly for a week. On three occasions radar equipped F-94s had locked on aerial targets only to have the lock-on broken by the apparent violent maneuvers of the target.


Two large cigar-shaped objects. F-94 Fighters were scrambled. Multiple witnesses.


Fighters [F-94s] have been scrambled on a number of occasions, and the pilots found the UFOs.

Flight controllers (Air Defense Command) directed pilot Lieutenant William Petterson to five or six unknowns on radar. Suddenly pilot sees brilliant blue-white lights. Closes in for better look and reported they were all around him. Radar room watched intercept on radar scope. They could see what the pilot was telling them on radar.


UFOs being watched on military radar. Traux Air Force Base, Wisconson picked up an unidentified return over the Soo Locks area and restricted air space. A [F-89c] fighter was scrambled from Kinross Field, Michigan to participate in an Active Air Defense Mission. Return from the F-89 disappeared from the CGI station's radarscope after merging (two blips were seen to merge) with UFO. Air Force claim it was another airplane Royal Canadian Air Fprce Dakota (C-47) later changed to a RCAF jet after deniels by the Canadian government.


Unidentified radar target tracket over New York State. Scrambled F-94 Starfire jet, Spotted a gleaming, disk-shaped apparatus. Unbearable, suffocating heat pilot bailed out.


Four aircraft scrambled to chase UFO near air field and were lost. Testimony of Air Force Brigadier General Arthur Exon.


Eugene Metcalf sworn affidavit from April 2, 1957. Jet plane swallowed from behind by large bell-shaped silver in color UFO through an opening. After this the UFO hovered and pulsated and churned up and down. Then it seemed to whirl and lift upwards. "While going through these gyrations, vapor came from porthole-like openings around the bottom part..."


Flying to intercept a mysterious radar reflection, an unknown French Air Force pilot photographed this craft in March 1954 (1957?) over Rouen with his gun-sight camera. The UFO paced the plane for several minutes before speeding off past the maximum velocity of the French airplane. This UFO appears to be of the same type that appeared in McMinnville, Oregon over the farm of Mr. Paul Trent.


A group in Washington that wants the original photographs of UFOs and a reference to gun camera films of those same objects. From documents that were originally classified as secret part of the commanders' conference held in June 1954 in which the officers assigned to various units of the 4602d were briefed on their upcoming assignments in the new UFO project.

"In almost every case where gun cameras or aircraft cameras have been used, the thing has been too small for identification and the photographs haven't been of much value."-- Captain Cybulski. (2)



US airman Milton Torres flying a Sabre jet told to shoot down UFO when based at RAF Manston.


Heard from other sources that an F-106 was sent to intercept one of the objects.


On November 8, seven objects traveling at altitudes between 9,500 and 15,500 feet were pursued by F-106 interceptors. A confidential communique issued by the Combat Operations Center of the North American Air Defense Command (NORAD) on November 11, 1975, reported that " the interceptors approached the lights went out. After the interceptors had passed the came on again One hour after the F-106s returned to base, missle site personnel reported the object increasesd to a high speed, raised in altitude, and could not be discerned from the stars."


Aircraft sent up to investigate.


Military helicopter hovers over area that a large, glowing object descended about 20 minutes earlier. Multiple Witnesses.


Reddish/green object hovering over the Jet Propulsion Laboratory site. Helicopter with searchlight under it and illuminating the object. Object disappears and helicopter tries to locate the object again.


Two brilliantly glowing UFOs first seen by ground observes. One object, or light source, an estimated 30 feet in diameter, reportedly went from ground level to an altitude of 40,000 feet, and was visible at a distance of 70 miles. An Imperial Iranian Air Force F-4 jet fighter was sent aloft and managed to aim a Sidewinder AIM-19 air-to-air missile [AAMs] at the target before its electronic systems failed.


Witness observes large bright object maneuvering in a circular path and pursued by several military aircraft. Object evades aircraft.


Witnesses observe a USAF jet fighter enter a cloud bank. Seconds later a metallic disc came out of the cloud bank, followed by two USAF jet fighters.


Witness observes approximately 12 objects in clusters of three, emitting a white substance like spider webs. This is known in Ufology as Angel Hair. USAF jet aircraft approached the objects. This is a daylight sighting.

|Angels' Hair|

1980s (early). UK. RAF Top Guns are ordered to shoot down alien spacecraft


Nick Pope former MoD. Mr Pope, 43, from London, said the "shoot down" orders had been issued under the highly-classified directive since the beginning of the 1980s.

Immense diamond-shaped craft in distress. 23-24 Helicopters encircling craft. CH-47 Chinhook and single rotor Bell-Huey type.


8:05 PM. Five people in Llano, Texas, witnessed a huge dome-shaped UFO fly over their house at only 200 feet altitude. It made a loud humming noise and had lights on the rim. A jet aircraft was seen in pursuit of the UFO. (Source: International UFO Reporter, May-June 1984, p. 16).



Triangle UFO chased by F-16 aircraft above Belgium during 1990.


It had been suggested that when there were reliable sightings of a triangular-shaped object, the Belgium Air Force would response with American-made F-16 fighters. When several police officials and a host of other civilian witnesses reported seeing an object, the fighters were dispatched.


In July 1993 from a Radar of Rome (Practica di Mare) and a Radar in the Marche (Falconara marittima) the Italian Air force destroyed a UFO flying from Lazio to Abruzzo with two airt-to-air missles (AAMs). The fragments fell in the canal of Monte Vettote (a mountain) near Arquata. The pilots of the Caccia airplane saw 3 balls leaving the UFO before the explosion. Three days later Filberto Caponi ecountered the first alien. After several encounters in the area he managed to take six Polaroid photographs.

|Radar|ET FCaponi|Explosion|

At 9:30 p.m. - One of the witnesses who had earlier witnesses with his wife the giant wide-angle triangle reported that when he was later at home, he saw in the distance what appeared to be the return of the triangle, this time with only three lights on, one at each corner. As the UFO hovered near the Deer Valley Airport in northwest Phoenix, he saw two military jets approach the triangle, with one jet seen to pass one side of it and the other seen to fly up under it, veering down at the last moment to avoid midair collision.


Witness saw a boomerang shaped object hovering over the park.
Jet fighter circling the city 20 minutes later.


It was a giant silver or dark gray boomerang with no lights drifting.
Four minutes later you could hear and see fighter jets moving same direction flying at great speed.


Fighter jets pursue large UFO described having no seams or riveting. Multiple witnesses.


Several dozen people—including a pilot, county constable and business owners—insist they have seen a large silent object with bright lights flying low and fast. Some reported seeing fighter jets chasing it.

Steve Allen and friends reported early on that F-16s were “chasing” the mysterious lights when they saw them for the second time at Selden on the evening of Jan. 8.